West Palm Beach Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been run over while cycling, you can hold the careless driver accountable for your losses and injuries. Find out how by working with a West Palm Beach bicycle accident lawyer.
While more and more Americans make cycling their primary mode of transportation every year, an increase in bicyclists on the road unfortunately also means an increase in bicycle-car accidents. This is particularly true in Florida: According to a 2015 CDC report, Florida has the highest bike accident death rate in the nation, at more than double the nationwide average.
As a bicyclist, a collision with a motor vehicle can cause severe injuries, not to mention a mountain of expenses and other damages. If you’ve been injured because a car hit you while you were riding a bike, contacting a West Palm Beach bicycle accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo is your first step on the road to financial recovery.
Causes of Bike-Car Accidents
Even though it isn’t motorized, a bicycle is still classified as a vehicle by Florida law. Bicyclists operating these vehicles are subject to the same laws and regulations as drivers of automobiles.
Likewise, drivers are expected to be respectful of cyclists, providing them with plenty of space while following all traffic laws. Carelessness (or negligence) by the driver of an automobile can have devastating consequences for a bicyclist.
The first thing that your West Palm Beach bicycle accident lawyer will do is determine fault for the accident. Examples of driver negligence that could lead to a bicycle accident include actions such as any of the following:
- Distracted driving, such as texting or eating while driving
- Failing to signal a turn
- Drifting into the bike lane
- “Dooring,” or opening a car door that obstructs the path of a cyclist, thus causing a crash
Of course, cyclists may also be found negligent in the event of a crash—dangerous behaviors such as riding the wrong way down a one-way street or running a stop sign could make the bicyclist at fault if a collision occurs. Bicyclists are expected to exercise extreme caution; there is, after all, far greater danger to a cyclist than to a motorist in a crash scenario.
However, if you’ve exercised that caution and still find yourself dealing with a crash—or even if you think you might be partially at fault—the legal experience provided by our firm can ease the burden of expenses in the aftermath of your collision.
Valuing Your Injury Claim
The costs of a bicycle-car accident can be debilitating. The good news is that the at-fault party will be expected to provide compensation to cover all of your financial expenses and lost quality of life. This applies to both your current damages and your future accident-related needs.
If you’ve been injured by a motorist, you could be dealing with a wide variety of losses and expenses:
- Current and Future Medical Bills – For example, if your leg was severely broken in an accident, you’re entitled to the initial cost of setting the leg, as well as future costs related to rehabilitative physical therapy.
- Lost Income – Did your accident put you out of work or negatively impact your lifetime earning potential? This could affect the size of your claim.
- Transportation Expenses – Any travel costs related to your medical care or otherwise caused by your injuries should be accounted for.
- Home Renovations – Getting hit on a bike can easily result in permanent disabilities that require modifying your home.
- Pain and Suffering – While this is harder to quantify, a West Palm Beach bicycle accident lawyer can help you determine a fair amount for issues such as chronic back pain, emotional distress, or other intangible damages you may be dealing with after your accident.
- Loss of Consortium – If your injuries have hurt your marriage and personal relationships, such as through disfigurement or lost sexual function, you can also be compensated for these losses.
If you’ve suffered at the hands of a negligent driver, your only concern should be your physical and psychological recovery. While the results of your accident cannot be changed, we can help you seek compensation to ease your financial worry.
Contact a West Palm Beach Bike-Car Accident Lawyer
After a bicycle-car collision, it can be difficult to know where to turn for help. Contacting an experienced, skilled West Palm Beach bicycle accident lawyer with the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo is an important first step toward getting the compensation you deserve. Call 561-659-6366 or fill out the online contact form to schedule your free, no-pressure case evaluation.