Protecting the Rights of the Injured CLICK HERE FOR A FREE CONSULTATION

How to Get a Police Report for an Accident

Most people assume that they do not need to file for a police report after an accident. This is especially so if the accident was minor with no injuries. If you do not file a police report and you later start experiencing pain, it will become difficult for you to seek compensation for a motor vehicle accident claim.

The same also applies to your motor vehicle. At first, the car might not show any signs of damage, but it might experience technical failures later on. Without a police report, insurance companies may not be able to compensate you for the damage incurred.

What Do You Need to Get a Police Report?

Before getting a police report, you need to know about the accident. For example, you need to know the case number, date, and time the accident occurred.

You will also be required to know the location and the name of one or more of the drivers involved in the accident. Knowing this is not compulsory. However, it will help speed up the entire process.

Another important thing you need to know is the person or office that filed the report. For example, if a certain sheriff’s office filed the report, it can only be retrieved by the same office. 

However, keep in mind that if the crash happened on a State Highway, it is with the Florida Highway Patrol.

Who Can Access a Car Accident Police Report?

According to Florida statute 316.066, all motor vehicle accident reports should be made public within 60 days. Within 60 days, the information can be accessed by a select group of people. These are:

  • Law enforcement officials
  • County traffic officials
  • Prosecutors
  • Parties involved in the accident
  • Legal representatives of the parties involved in the accident
  • Representatives from the Department of Transport

It is important to note that the records are restricted for 60 days to protect the parties involved in the accident. Otherwise, the victims might receive unsolicited calls from doctors, rental agencies, or others that want to take advantage of their situation.

How to Obtain a Car Crash Report in Florida

If you want to get access to a car crash report within the restricted time frame of 60 days, you’ll have to do so on the official online portal. To access a crash report, you will be required to pay a Statutory fee of $10. In addition, you will also pay a convenience fee of $2.

Once you pay the statutory fee, the report will be made available immediately and must be downloaded within 48 hours. 

Get in Touch with a Qualified Car Accident Attorney

Sometimes, a crash report might have errors that might compromise your case. For example, the officer-in-charge might indicate that you are at fault instead of the other party. Also, technical factors such as the name of drivers and the time of the accident could be missing. If this happens, you will need a qualified lawyer to sort this mess on your behalf.

If you have been involved in an accident and are wondering if you need an accident lawyer, get in touch with the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo by giving us a call at 561-659-6366. You can also get in touch through our contact form. Our law firm will work to ensure the possible outcome for your case.