Protecting the Rights of the Injured CLICK HERE FOR A FREE CONSULTATION

Florida Car Insurance Claim FAQ

A car accident can cause serious problems in your life. When someone else is responsible for causing serious injuries, you could recover a car accident settlement. 

However, the process in Florida may be different than in other states. For example, you might have to prove that your injuries meet a certain benchmark to be able to file a third-party accident claim. 

What are the implications of the no-fault insurance laws in Florida for a car accident settlement? Get the answer to this question and others below. Whatever stage you’re in with your claim, contact a car accident lawyer for help.

Florida Car Accident Process: Answering Your Questions

You likely have many questions about how car insurance works in Florida and what your options are after a car accident. Read on for answers.

Is Florida a no-fault state for car accident claims?

Yes, Florida is a no-fault state. In many other states, as long as you can prove that the other driver was responsible, you can file a claim directly with their insurance company to recover a settlement. In Florida, you have to first go through the PIP system to get your medical bills and other damages paid.

What is the PIP system?

Short for personal injury protection, PIP insurance is a required purchase for drivers in the state of Florida. PIP coverage pays for 80 percent of your medical bills and 60 percent of lost wages up to the policy limit, which is often a minimum of $10,000. 

How do you step around the PIP system?

When the sum of your damages is greater than the policy limit in your PIP coverage, you can file a claim against the at-fault party for the remaining damages. For example, if PIP pays your medical bills up to $10,000, you could go after the other party for the remaining economic and non-economic damages. 

Injured in a Car? Call an Auto Insurance Claim Attorney

Navigating the Florida car insurance claims process on your own can be complicated. Fortunately, The Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo can help.

Call us at 561-659-6366 or fill out the form at the bottom of this page to learn more.