Can I Sue a Doctor for Pain and Suffering in Florida?

When you go to the doctor in West Palm Beach, you likely trust the doctor to provide the level of care they would give to any other patient walking through their door. This level of care is known as the standard of care, and when a doctor violates the standard of care, they can injure patients and cause emotional hardship.

Although you can’t sue a doctor for pain and suffering, you can sue them for medical malpractice, which is a violation of the standard of care. When suing for medical malpractice, you can collect compensation for all the ways your doctor has affected your life. You may suffer emotionally, physically, or financially from your doctor’s negligence, and you deserve justice.

A lawyer from The Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo can determine whether your doctor has committed medical malpractice and help you file a legal claim

Understanding Medical Malpractice in Florida

To sue for medical malpractice in Florida, you must not only prove that your doctor violated the standard of care but you must also prove that their negligence resulted in damages to you. If you can’t link the two events together, then you may not have grounds for a claim in Florida.

You can use expert testimony to prove negligence against your doctor and use your medical records to link your injuries to their negligence.

Damages You Can Recover in a Florida Medical Malpractice Claim

Once you can prove your case in court, you can then recover compensation for your damages. Your economic damages may include things like your medical expenses and lost wages, and your non-economic damages can include losses like pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life. 

Contact a Medical Negligence Attorney

Medical malpractice claims are hard to win, which is why it’s helpful to have an experienced attorney by your side. If you’re ready to schedule a free consultation with a medical malpractice lawyer from The Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo, call 561-659-6366 or fill out the contact form below.