Jupiter Medical Malpractice Lawyer
You expect your physician to adhere to the highest standards of care to help you get better. Unfortunately, thousands of people are victims of medical malpractice each year.
If you’ve suffered further injury or illness or a loved one has died as a result of medical malpractice, the experience can be devastating. Negligent medical practitioners should be held accountable.
Having an attorney experienced in medical malpractice cases can go a long way toward restoring your peace of mind. A Jupiter medical malpractice lawyer with the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo will fight for your rights and work to get you a full settlement.
Examples of Medical Malpractice
In Florida, medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional causes injury to a patient through negligence or omission. Ultimately, another medical professional should be able to recognize whichever treatment your doctor prescribes as a reasonable mode of care.
Examples of medical malpractice include the following:
- Improper or Missed Diagnosis – An improper or missed diagnosis can put you in serious danger. For example, if a doctor fails to diagnose appendicitis or misses a cancer diagnosis, you face extreme, unnecessary risk.
- Anesthesia Error – An error in the administration or dosage of anesthesia can lead to organ damage, serious illness, or death.
- Lack of Informed Consent – If a doctor performs a procedure for which he or she did not have your informed consent and you become injured as a result, the doctor could be found negligent.
- Surgical Error – If a surgeon leaves surgical material in the body or performs another grossly negligent act—such as amputating an incorrect limb—you may have grounds for a medical malpractice case.
- Birth Injury – If you or your baby suffered as a result of a doctor’s negligence during birth, the experience can be especially traumatic. For example, a baby may suffer from lack of oxygen because the doctor did not perform a cesarean section in time.
The Effects of Medical Malpractice
A Jupiter medical malpractice lawyer will understand how devastating and costly being a victim of medical malpractice can be. Your attorney will seek to get you a settlement that accounts for all the ways your life may have been negatively affected after the event, including the following:
- Current or future medical bills
- Lost wages or lost time at work
- Reduced quality of life
- Pain and suffering
Statute of Limitations
Florida’s statute of limitations states that you have two years from the date the medical malpractice occurred to file a medical malpractice claim.
If the medical professional or hospital engaged in fraud to cover up the malpractice, this deadline is extended: You have two years from the date you learned of the medical malpractice to bring forth a case, but may not bring a case after seven years have elapsed.
Contact a Jupiter Medical Malpractice Lawyer
While the results of your medical malpractice case cannot be changed, a Jupiter medical malpractice lawyer with the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo will work to hold the negligent practitioner accountable for your suffering. To arrange your free consultation, call us at 561-659-6366 or complete the online contact form at the bottom of the page.