Boca Raton Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
If you suspect someone is abusing your elderly family member in a nursing home, you can and should hold the abuser accountable. Enlist the help of a Boca Raton nursing home abuse attorney to get justice.
Millions of Americans trust nursing and retirement homes to provide safe, caring environments for their elderly loved ones. When a nursing home employee violates this trust and engages in elder abuse, the consequences can be devastating for the victim and his or her family.
Unfortunately, nursing home abuse is a widespread problem. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that hundreds of thousands of people over 60 are victims of elder abuse each year. If your loved one has endured abuse in a nursing or retirement home, it’s hard to know how to seek justice.
Hiring an attorney who is experienced in nursing home abuse cases can go a long way toward restoring your peace of mind. A Boca Raton nursing home abuse lawyer with the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo can be an invaluable partner who will fight for you to get a full settlement.
Examples of Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home residents may experience any of several kinds of nursing home abuse. These include the following:
- Physical – It’s heartbreaking to think of an elderly loved one being harmed physically by nursing home staff, but physical abuse is one of the most common types of elder abuse. Unexplained bumps and bruises can be a sign that a loved one is being physically harmed.
- Sexual – Victims of sexual elder abuse often have trouble communicating or experience memory-loss conditions like dementia. Signs that an elderly loved one may be experiencing sexual abuse include pelvic pain, torn or stained undergarments, and sudden difficulty standing or walking.
- Emotional – Emotional elder abuse can be verbal or nonverbal. Examples include threatening behavior or yelling at the nursing home resident, ignoring the resident, or habitually demeaning the resident.
- Neglect – Nursing home neglect is slightly different than nursing home abuse. In neglect cases, elders suffer due to a nursing home staff’s negligence rather than direct abuse. Victims of nursing home neglect may not have their basic care or hygiene needs met, or they may suffer emotional neglect from staff members. Red flags for nursing home neglect include sudden weight loss, dehydration, and a growing lack of friendly interaction with other residents and staff.
- Malpractice – If a nursing home resident was injured while a staff member was performing a healthcare-related task, such as administering medication, you could be eligible to file a medical malpractice suit.
Determining Claim Value
Finding out your loved one has been a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect causes severe psychological stress. The situation can feel helpless. However, a Boca Raton nursing home abuse attorney will fight for a fair settlement that accounts for all the hardships the abuse has caused.
Nursing home abuse damages for which you may receive compensation include the following:
- Medical costs due to your loved one’s injury or worsening illness
- Disability and disfigurement caused by abuse
- Pain and suffering
- Decreased quality of life
- Wrongful death
Contact a Boca Raton Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
You can fight back against those who prey on the elderly. To do so, arm yourself with a Boca Raton nursing home abuse lawyer at the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo. Call 561-659-6366 or fill out our online form, which you’ll find at the bottom of this page.