Boca Raton Elder Abuse Lawyer
A Boca Raton elder abuse attorney will help you fight back when your elderly loved one has been abused. Filing a personal injury claim can secure the compensation you and your loved one deserve and protect other vulnerable adults from being hurt.
Elderly adults should be treated with kindness, dignity, and respect, but unfortunately, many people take advantage of the vulnerable state many elders are in. Some elderly people suffer from physical and mental limitations, which may make them a target for abusers.
If someone you love has been abused, you can seek damages by filing an elder abuse claim. To get help with your claim, contact a Boca Raton elder abuse lawyer at our firm.
What Is Elder Abuse?
Elder abuse is any intentional mistreatment or exploitation of an aging adult. Abuse of the elderly can take many forms, but the most common forms are physical, emotional, psychological, and sexual abuse, as well as neglect, abandonment, and financial exploitation.
Older adults are often targets of elder abuse in Boca Raton because of their inability to defend themselves, in some cases due to mental incapacity.
About the Different Types of Elder Abuse
There are signs and symptoms you should watch out for with each type of elder abuse. Mistreatment of vulnerable adults can take place anywhere—in the home, in caregiving institutions like nursing homes, in hospitals, or elsewhere in the community.
Here is some information on the different types of elder abuse seen in Boca Raton and how to determine whether your loved one may be a victim:
- Physical Abuse – Any physical assault on an elderly individual can be considered abuse. This includes hitting, scratching, slapping, pinching, pushing, or punching. Keep an eye out for injuries, cuts, and unexplained bruises.
- Sexual Abuse – This is any sexual contact against the will of the elderly person. Look out for psychological or behavioral changes, bruises, and torn clothing.
- Psychological Abuse – This could be verbal or emotional abuse of the elderly person, including harassment, insults, and ignoring or alienating the victim. Watch for social withdrawal symptoms, depression, or anxiety.
- Financial Exploitation – When a vulnerable adult’s financial assets are being misused or stolen, he or she may be a victim of financial abuse. Signs include unusual account activity or sudden changes in the finances of the elderly individual, as well as illogical changes in important documents like wills.
- Neglect – Neglect occurs when an elderly adult does not receive the appropriate level of care. A few signs of neglect are dirty clothes, malnourishment, and bedsores.
Mediation or Litigation?
If you’ve made the decision to file an elder abuse claim in Boca Raton, you may be wondering whether to go through mediation or litigation for resolution.
Mediation is especially helpful if you and the victim would like to settle the matter in a quiet and confidential manner. It also allows you more of a say in the negotiation process.
Litigation can be the way to go if you’re seeking extensive damages and you aren’t worried about confidentiality. However, your case is in the hands of a judge or jury.
Speak with a Baton Rouge Elder Abuse Attorney
The abuse of the elderly is never acceptable. If your loved one has been the victim of abuse, you can and should hold those responsible accountable. Seeking damages for the physical and emotional harm your loved one has suffered is within your rights.
Contact a Boca Raton elder abuse lawyer to discuss your options. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo have experience fighting to protect victims of abuse. To speak with an attorney in a free case evaluation, dial 561-659-6366 or fill out the online contact form on this page.