Who Gets the Money in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

When you lose a loved one due to the negligence of someone else, it can be devastating. Although the loss of a family member can never be undone, you and your family can still secure justice in the form of wrongful death compensation for their loss. 

Read on to learn more about who can receive damages in a wrongful death suit. When you’re ready, talk to a WPB injury lawyer for help with your claim.

Who Can Sue for Wrongful Death?

Unlike criminal charges, which are brought by the state to punish a defendant, wrongful death claims are intended to resolve a private grievance between the defendant and the family or estate of the deceased. 

The people or individual responsible for filing a claim for a wrongful death depends on the state you live in. In Florida, a named representative—either in the deceased’s estate or will, or by the court directly—is generally placed in charge of filing the claim on behalf of all other interested parties. 

In addition, this representative must also name the other family members who have a legal interest in the wrongful death lawsuit

Some of these family members can include:

  • The spouse of the deceased
  • The children of the deceased
  • The parents of the deceased

Additionally, other extended family members may also be included in special circumstances. If you’re unsure, talk to a lawyer at our firm. 

Types of Damages You Can Recover

Some of the types of damages you can recover in one of these suits include:

  • End-of-life expenses, such as funeral costs
  • Medical bills
  • Lost income
  • Emotional damages, such as conscious pain and suffering and mental anguish

Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer Today

When you lose a loved one due to the negligence of another, it can be devastating. However, you and your family don’t have to go through it alone. Let an experienced wrongful death attorney with The Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo help. You have a limited amount of time to file, so reach out now.

Call 561-659-6366 or fill out the form below to learn more.