West Palm Beach Birth Injury Lawyer
If your child’s birth was marred by the negligence of the healthcare providers involved, you can recover compensation to cover your family’s losses. Get the help you need by working with a West Palm Beach birth injury lawyer.
The birth of a child should be a joyous event. Unfortunately, it can also be fraught with danger, both for the child and the mother. The negligence of a doctor or healthcare provider during pregnancy or childbirth can have devastating, lifelong effects.
If you believe you or your child has suffered as the result of a doctor’s inadequate care, a West Palm Beach birth injury lawyer from the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo can examine your case and determine if you have grounds for a malpractice claim.
Examples of Birth Injuries
Medical professionals have a duty to provide comprehensive care for both mother and child during the prenatal period, labor, and delivery. This includes informing the mother of any possible birth defects or complications associated with her pregnancy.
Examples of failing to provide adequate care include all of the following:
- Neglecting Prenatal Testing – If a child is born with severe birth defects that could impact his or her overall quality of life, the parents might be eligible for compensation if prior knowledge of those birth defects would have led them to terminate the pregnancy.
- Improper Forceps Use During Delivery – Carelessness in using forceps when extracting the child from the birth canal could result in nerve damage to the child’s neck, head, or chest.
- Improper Monitoring of the Baby’s Oxygen – The World Health Organization provides guidelines for encouraging normal oxygen flow in newborns. Inadequate oxygen flow could lead to brain damage, cerebral palsy, or even death in infants.
- Delay in Ordering a C-Section – Failure to order a timely Caesarean section when maternal or fetal distress is present can lead to injuries for the baby and mother.
- Inadequate Monitoring of the Mother’s Health – Neglecting to monitor the mother’s vital signs can have devastating effects. Conditions like preeclampsia, signified by high blood pressure prior to delivery, can lead to stroke or even death in the mother if left untreated.
If a doctor or healthcare provider failed you in the delivery room, a West Palm Beach birth injury lawyer can be your ally in seeking justice through compensation.
Recovering Damages for a Birth Injury
In addition to the emotional distress caused by inadequate prenatal or delivery room care, you could be facing a litany of expenses. Your West Palm Beach birth injury lawyer will help you review all potential costs related to your case:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Rehabilitation costs, such as physical or occupational therapy
- Special equipment costs (if applicable)
- Lost wages and earning potential, including if a parent must stay home to care for a disabled child
- Non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering or lost quality of life
You shouldn’t have to deal with soaring expenses in addition to your emotional and psychological trauma. Instead, let our firm help you recover the financial compensation you deserve.
Get Justice for a Birth Injury or Preventable Birth Defect
Don’t let the failure of medical professionals prevent you from seeking legal help. When you contact the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo, an experienced, skilled West Palm Beach birth injury lawyer will review your case and fight for your right to compensation. Call 561-659-6366 today, or complete the contact form on this page to arrange a free consultation.