West Palm Beach Injury Lawyer
If you need compensation for the expenses associated with your injuries, you’ll want to have the strongest case possible. A qualified West Palm Beach personal injury lawyer can maximize both the value of your injury claim and your chance of success.
Physical pain, lasting emotional trauma, and financial stress—these are the difficulties many victims face after an accident. When you’ve been injured because of someone else’s careless actions, it can feel impossible to bounce back.
But it’s not impossible. You know you need compensation for your injury-related hardships, and we know how to get it. A West Palm Beach injury lawyer with the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo can help you hold the negligent parties accountable.
Types of Personal Injuries
Serious accidents can result in many types of injuries for victims. Your West Palm Beach personal injury attorney will know what a devastating impact an injury can have on your life because he has experience representing people who have suffered all kinds of injuries.
Some injuries that can result from accidents include the following:
- Broken Bones – Broken bones are relatively common, and they can present severe physical hardships. In a less serious broken bone injury known as a stable fracture, the fractured parts of the bone may line up and be only slightly out of place. In a more serious comminuted fracture, the bone breaks in three or more places.
- Burns – Burns are characterized as either first, second, or third degree. Third-degree burns are the most severe because the burn penetrates each level of the dermis and damages underlying tissue. Burn injuries can lead to lasting disability and disfigurement.
- Brain Injuries – Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) contribute to a large number of injury deaths. Brain injuries range in severity from concussions that may cause the victim to pass out to brain tearing, which can severely disrupt bodily functions. Falls are a leading cause of TBIs.
- Spine Injuries – Thousands of accident victims suffer spinal cord injuries each year. Spinal cord injuries are either incomplete, in which the brain can still send messages below the affected area of the spine, or complete, in which all sensory ability and movement is cut off below the injured area. Vehicle accidents are a common cause of spinal cord injuries.
- Amputations – The loss of a limb will have a profoundly negative impact on a victim’s life. Serious accidents can result in lost limbs or make amputation necessary after the fact. Amputations present a risk of severe bleeding, infection, and shock. Victims must learn to navigate life without the affected limb and potentially adapt to a prosthesis.
Statute of Limitations and Comparative Fault
Florida’s statute of limitations gives accident victims four years from the date of the accident to file a claim. No matter the cause of your injury—vehicle accident, dog bite, bicycle accident, etc.—it’s important that you seek legal help within this four-year time frame.
The sooner after the accident you contact an attorney, the more effectively you will be able to build your case. You and your West Palm Beach accident injury attorney will review all the details of your accident to determine who you should name in your claim for compensation.
Also, Florida follows the doctrine of comparative fault. This means that, if you are found to have contributed to your accident, your settlement amount will reduce by whichever percentage you are deemed responsible.
Understanding the Value of Your Claim
Any accident can pose serious financial consequences. You may be left with costly vehicle repairs, car rental fees, missed income from time out of work, and many other economic setbacks. Accidents that result in serious injuries can be particularly devastating.
In addition to the trauma of suffering physical harm, you may find yourself in debt overnight as the medical bills pile up. Rather than focusing on your recovery, you may be wondering how you’re ever going to recover your financial stability.
If someone else’s negligence caused your accident, facing this question can feel incredibly frustrating.
However, it is possible to gain full compensation that accounts for all the suffering your accident has caused you. Your West Palm Beach personal injury attorney will work hard to secure compensation that accounts for all of your damages, which may include the following:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Any adaptive technology you need (motorized wheelchair, prosthetic limb, etc.)
- Therapy and rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
Contact a West Palm Beach Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
No matter the severity of your injury, an attorney with the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo will fight for your full and fair compensation if someone else is to blame. Speak with a West Palm Beach injury lawyer today by calling 561-659-6366 or filling out the online contact form below.