Boca Raton Wrongful Death Lawyer
If you’ve suffered the loss of a loved one due to someone else’s negligent or careless actions, you deserve justice. Turn to a Boca Raton wrongful death attorney for help getting the compensation you deserve.
If you’ve lost a loved one because of someone else’s negligence—perhaps due to a drunk driver, a doctor’s medical error, or a product malfunction—you’ve no doubt experienced grief and confusion after the event. Wrongful death cases can devastate families both emotionally and financially.
While the outcome cannot be changed, a Boca Raton wrongful death lawyer with the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo will work hard to get you full and fair compensation.
A Look at Wrongful Death Cases
In a wrongful death case, someone loses his or her life due to the negligent actions of another person. Examples of wrongful death cases include the following:
- Medical Malpractice – Medical malpractice cases involve a patient’s illness or injury worsening after going to see a medical professional. Sometimes this results in death. Examples of medical malpractice include surgical errors, missed diagnoses or misdiagnoses, and medication errors.
- Vehicle Accident – In 2016 alone, there were over 3,000 fatalities from car accidents in Florida. If the accident was caused by the other driver’s negligence, you could be entitled to a wrongful death claim. Negligent driving behaviors include speeding, drunk driving, distracted driving, and driving while drowsy.
- Pedestrian Accident – Florida is one of the most dangerous states in the country for pedestrians. If your loved one was hit in a crosswalk or elsewhere by a negligent driver, you could be eligible to file a wrongful death claim.
- Bicycle Accident – Common causes of bicycle accidents include drivers hitting bicycles during left turns, drivers not giving bicyclists appropriate berth on roadways, and “dooring.” Dooring occurs when a driver opens a car door and disrupts the traffic path of the bicycle.
- Product Malfunction – Companies have a duty to ensure that their products are safe before they are available to the public. If the product is found to be unsafe, the company must adequately warn the public. When a death results from a defective product, the product designer, manufacturer, marketer, or all three could be found liable in a wrongful death claim.
Who Can Sue For Wrongful Death in Florida?
In wrongful death cases, an attorney seeks to recover damages for people who benefited financially from the deceased. The personal representative of the deceased person’s estate files a wrongful death claim on behalf of family members affected by the deceased’s passing.
The deceased’s spouse, children, and parents may be eligible for wrongful death compensation. In addition, any blood relative or sibling by adoption may receive damages as long as they benefited financially from the deceased.
Florida law allows a wrongful death case to be filed within two years of the deceased’s passing. Although the weeks and months following a loved one’s death are extremely difficult, it’s wise to contact a Boca Raton wrongful death attorney as soon as possible to get your case underway.
When you contact a wrongful death lawyer in Boca Raton, he or she will review all the details of the case to determine who was at fault. Identifying who was at fault will allow you to hold the negligent party accountable and get you and your family a fair settlement.
Possible Compensation in Wrongful Death Cases
Facing a loved one’s illness, serious injury, or death is emotionally traumatic. Financial stress is often piled on top of this trauma.
Perhaps the loved one had a long hospital stay before passing away and you’re now left with medical debt. Funeral and burial costs can easily be tens of thousands of dollars.
Family members are hurt if they depended on the deceased financially. There are also intangible damages to consider, such as the value of guidance and care the deceased may have shared with his or her children or the pain and suffering parents may experience after losing a child.
Your Boca Raton wrongful death attorney will work to get you a settlement that accounts for all of these hardships. While the death of your loved one is incredibly painful, fair compensation is an important step on the path to getting justice.
Contact a Boca Raton Fatal Accident Attorney
Losing a loved one is one of the hardest experiences you can go through, and losing your loved one because of someone else’s negligence is even more difficult.
To seek financial justice, contact a Boca Raton wrongful death lawyer at the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo. Call us at 561-659-6366 or fill out the online contact form below.