Boca Raton Bicycle Accident Lawyer
As a cyclist, you have as much of a right to the road as anyone else. You also have as much of a right to hire a Boca Raton bicycle crash lawyer as you pursue compensation for injuries that weren’t your fault.
If you consider yourself an avid bicyclist, it’s likely concerning to learn that Florida holds the highest bike death rate in the nation.
This statistic becomes even more alarming when considering that, outside of Florida, bicyclists already experience crashes at a rate disproportionate to that of other motorists: In 2015 alone, over 1,000 bicyclists died due to crashes in the United States, while nearly half a million were injured.
A silver lining for those who have been harmed in a bike accident, however, is that they will likely be eligible to receive compensation for their injuries. To see what your case is worth, contact a Boca Raton bicycle accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo today.
Why Bicyclists Must Follow Certain Laws in Florida
Before being eligible to receive compensation for your injuries, you will need to prove that you acted in accordance with Florida law as it pertains to bicyclists.
Florida has set a number of statutes regarding bicyclist behavior, which include the following rules:
- Anyone under the age of sixteen must wear a helmet while riding.
- Operators must ride “upon or astride a permanent and regular seat.”
- No cyclist can transport more passengers than is safe.
- If moving slower than the speed of traffic, bicyclists must ride in a designated lane or as close to the right-hand curb as possible.
- Bicyclists must equip their bikes with visible lights between sundown and sunrise.
If you are found to have been in violation of any of these laws at the time of your bike accident in Boca Raton, your ability to obtain compensation may be jeopardized.
Common Injuries in Boca Raton Bicycle Accidents
Bicyclists have been known to experience a wide range of injuries in collisions, including the following:
- Brain injuries like concussions
- Spine injuries like paralysis
- Face or eye damage
- Broken or fractured bones
- Severe bruises and cuts
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
In the most severe cases, a Boca Raton cyclist may pass away as a result of his or her injuries. In such cases, family members may be able to file a wrongful death claim to recover compensation.
Recovering Fair Compensation
As a Boca Raton bicycle injury victim, you will need to document any and all losses associated with your accident, which may include medical expenses, lost income, emotional distress, pain and suffering, bicycle damage, lifestyle-related adjustments, loss of consortium, and worsened quality of life.
You are allowed to not only account for past and present losses, but ones that are expected to occur in the future.
As you pursue financial justice, don’t overlook the fact that your legal right to compensation does not last forever. Florida’s statute of limitations for personal injury cases is four years, meaning that you have four years from the date of your Boca Raton bicycle accident to begin legal proceedings.
How to Prove a Driver’s Liability
We discussed how to disprove your own liability, but equally important to recovering significant compensation is being able to prove the liability of another party, such as a motorist who caused your bicycle accident.
Factors that might help you in proving another party’s negligence include the following:
- A Distracted Driver – Whenever a driver is preoccupied with something other than the road, such as an argument or a phone, his or her focus is considered hindered in the eyes of the law.
- An Inebriated Driver – Drunk or drugged drivers can easily fail to see cyclists and cause dangerous crashes.
- A Speeding Driver – Driving over the speed limit is recognized as a hazard and can be used to prove negligence in a Boca Raton bicycle crash case.
The more items of liability you are able to link to external parties, the better your chance of proving the fault of the person who caused your bike accident.
Team Up with a Boca Raton Bicycle Accident Attorney
Despite the increased acceptance and safety of bikes—more bike lanes, more durable frames and helmets, etc.— bike accidents are still all too common, highlighting an issue that is in many ways unresolved.
To maximize your shot at receiving the compensation you need following a bicycle accident, contact a Boca Raton bicycle accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo. Call us today at 561-659-6366 or fill out our online contact form at the bottom of this page to schedule a free consultation.