Palm Beach County Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Suffering an injury or illness because of a healthcare provider’s negligence can be a traumatizing event. Hold them responsible with help from a Palm Beach County medical malpractice lawyer.
If you’ve been the victim of medical malpractice, it can be a bewildering and extremely difficult experience. You may have visited a doctor or medical practitioner to seek help for an illness or condition, only later to experience more health problems due to the doctor’s negligence or deviation from standards of care.
Medical malpractice cases are alarmingly common: According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, medical negligence is the third leading cause of death in the United States. Still, medical malpractice suits can be difficult to file in court, and there are often special requirements of a plaintiff before he or she is able to receive a settlement.
A Palm Beach County medical malpractice lawyer from the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo can help you navigate the court system and get the settlement you’re owed.
Examples of Medical Malpractice
While we put our trust in doctors for our physical needs, there are, unfortunately, many ways in which that trust can be betrayed. Just a few examples of medical malpractice are detailed below:
- Delayed Diagnosis – This may occur if a physician fails to diagnose an illness in a timely manner, and the illness worsens, possibly causing the patient’s death.
- Misdiagnosis – This occurs when a physician wrongly diagnoses a patient. As a result, an incorrect treatment plan may be followed, leading to worsening illness or death.
- Surgery Errors – In such a case, a surgeon may mistakenly cause permanent injury during an operation.
- Medication Errors – A patient may be at risk of extreme illness or death if a medical practitioner prescribes the wrong medication or administers a medication overdose.
- Anesthesia Errors – An anesthesia error could result in the ineffectiveness of anesthesia during surgery, or cause later harm, such as lasting brain damage.
Instances of medical malpractice can cause lasting physical and emotional harm. A Palm Beach County medical malpractice lawyer can be an invaluable ally in helping restore some of your peace of mind.
Filing a Medical Malpractice Claim
In Florida, you have two years from the time you discovered the medical malpractice to file a claim. This statute of limitations may be extended if the medical practitioner was found to have fraudulently concealed the malpractice.
Once you have decided to sue, you must inform the healthcare provider and receive from him or her an affidavit saying that you have a valid claim. This begins a ninety-day process; after you file a suit, if the medical practitioner states before the ninety days are up that he or she does not wish to settle, then you have sixty days to bring the case to court, or the remainder of the statute of limitations—whichever comes first.
Filing a medical malpractice claim can be a difficult and confusing process. A Palm Beach County medical malpractice lawyer who knows the ins and outs of the legal system can make sure your rights are protected and that you get the full and fair settlement you’re owed.
Contact a Palm Beach Medical Malpractice Lawyer
If you’ve been a victim of medical malpractice, it’s important to act quickly. Contact a Palm Beach County medical malpractice lawyer with the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo today to arrange your initial free consultation. Call 561-659-6366 or use the online contact form on this page to schedule yours.